The Castle Hayne area, around US 117 and NC 133 in northern New Hanover County, was established in 1861 as Spring Garden. By 1882, the area had become known as Castle Haynes, for a house built before the Revolutionary War by Roger Haynes. The railroad and post office shortened the name to Castle Hayne. Public institutions include Castle Hayne Volunteer Fire Dept and Castle Hayne post office. To gain more control over its future, residents have considered incorporating the community but nothing has come of those discussions thus far.
In the area is the northern most campus of Cape Fear Community College which is in its 50th year, adding programs, and buildings to support its growing student population.